Saturday, November 6, 2010

Birds of Botswana

Here are a few mystery birds that I saw in June 2010 in Botswana. Unfortunately, I don't know what kinds of birds they are, but if you happen to know, post a comment!



This brave bird was standing on the head of a hippopotamus, right in the middle of a pod of hungry hippos on the Chobe river, bordering Botswana and Namibia.


I think this is some kind of wood pecker.



A bunch of birds making a nest in the Chobe River in between Botswana/Namibia.



Another colorful bird.




A bird flies over our boat.



This appears to be another roller of some sort.

If anyone can help me (Larry) identify these mystery birds, write in the comment fields below. Thanks!!



2 comments:

Bennet said...

These are mostly guesses. The white herons, depending on what your recollection of their size is, could be Great, Intermediate or Cattle Egrets. The black and white guy looks to be a Pied Kingfisher. The first colorful bird looks like a Bee-eater, Swallow-tailed perhaps? Then an African Openbill, a kind of stork. And lastly, I think you're right some kind of roller, I'm wondering Lilac-breasted? We'll see what others think.

Notes From A Dark Pond said...

Hello... I came upon your blog wanting to identify a bird I photographed in Botswana last week. I think Bennet has done it for me, it was the Bee-eater, but ahh, what kind?

I can confirm the Pied Kingfisher, and the Lilac-breasted Roller and the Egrets

You have some great photos there.
Best wishes...

Pondlife