Wednesday, June 30, 2010

SEO Tips for Birders- Choosing a Topic

Some of you may have noticed this box at the bottom of my site (scroll all the way down to see the real thing):


It's an embedded topic-finding tool from my company, WordStream. This tool that I helped develop is very useful when choosing a bird blogging topic. It's free to use, and if you want to send yourself a spreadsheet of the topics (called "niches") and keywords to include in your blog posts, just enter your email address to have them emailed to you.

Here's an example of how you might use the tool:

Let's say I have some pictures of a Great Blue Heron eating a fish (which I do- I'm going to post that next). I type "great blue heron" into the query box and click "Find Profitable Niches." This is what I see:


I can see that "great blue heron eat" is a popular niche topic to write about since it's near the top of the list. I just click on the niche to see the keywords associated with it. Since I have pictures of a Great Blue Heron eating, it makes sense for me to put that keyword in my blog post title, as well as throughout the body of my post. I'll also want to include other popular keywords from this list: "what do great blue herons eat" "what does the great blue heron eat" "great blue heron eats."

This tool is also very helpful if you're not starting with a picture, but rather you plan on writing about bird-related research, facts, tips, etc. You can use it to find out what are the most popular topics and questions for a certain species of bird.

Go ahead! Scroll down to the bottom of the page and try it out for yourself.

Happy blogging! :)

2 comments:

Hilke Breder said...

Sounds like a neat application, especially when trying to decide between two or more topics. I'll bookmark it.

Birdinggirl said...

@Hilke: Thanks for the comment. It's something I hope my readers will find useful. It's a fun way to pick new topics to research and write about.