Friday, September 25, 2009

Female Common Yellowthroat at Central Park

I squeezed in some birding while I was in New York last weekend. I was there for a "Girls Weekend" with two of my best friends from college- Kristin and Lori. Lori just moved there in January, which is very exciting.

I forgot my binoculars, and we were on a tight schedule, but I still made a few interesting sightings.

Female Common Yellowthroat


Mystery Thrush (it's Friday and I don't have the energy to try and ID it from this poor picture):


We stuck to Strawberry Fields, but it was really cool being there on a nice Saturday with lots of other birders. We encountered:

- A dad and his 4 year-old son who each had their own binoculars. The dad told us about the ruby-throated hummingbirds and then the little boy piped in and told us exactly where to go and added "I hope they're still there for you. I hope you get to see them." SO cute.

- A scary homeless man over by the ruby-throated hummingbird site (looked like a patch of honeysuckle surrounded by a fence, but I'm convinced it was some other type of flowering bush). He got right up in my face and told me "You're going to be dead like that fence." He was really obsessed with the fence and keeping people away from it. There was a man with a scope set up, focused on the bushes, and there were plenty of other people around so I didn't feel scared. But we did end up leaving the area shortly after that since we weren't seeing any hummingbirds.

- Another homeless man, this one sleeping on the grass in the clearing where I was following the female common yellowthroat. At one point I had to step around him to get closer to the bird but he didn't wake up! haha

- Last but not least, Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta-Jones casually walking through the park with what seemed like an agent or producer.

It was a great trip! Next time I'll have to schedule some more extensive birding time while I'm there, and when I can go alone. No one wants to hang out while I bird, it's very boring...

7 comments:

Susan said...

It sounds like you had a quite a few interesting sightings on your trip: Fun birds, Scary homeless, and Celebrities!

Birdinggirl said...

@Sue- I don't have as much time for birding as I used to so I try to squeeze it in where I can. And yes, sometimes that involves homeless people and celebrities! ha

Unknown said...

What awesome sightings! Birds and celebrities and famous places - sounds like a great time was had by all. Congratulations!

Dawn Fine said...

oh great sightings..stars..birds..crazy homeless people..and cute kid birder..
never a dull moment in the city!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, when you're not so
tired and have some time, take
a look at that "thrush" again
and see if it maybe looks like
a Fox Sparrow. Just a thought.
Hap in New Hope (MN)

Unknown said...

Awesome Yellowthroat. She is very pretty. I like Yellowthroats a lot. That was a good picture of her looking upward.

That was very nice of that little boy to encourage you.

Yes I am at Broadmoor and you should definately visit. I do work on Saturdays and live right up the street. But I am based on the other side of the sanctuary and am often not easy to find when I am working. You should call me ahead of time if you would like to visit. I'd really like to go birding with you and learn a thing or two! I'm not sure how to give you my cell #.

Talk to you soon,
Pete

Larry said...

Has it been that long since I checked in? Interesting day from the homelss to yellowthroats and celebrities! Nice photos! Seems like you're taking a little blogging freak.