Sunday, March 22, 2009

Birds of the Equinox Recap

I was inspired by Andy, of Andy's Lens, and finally got around to entering my Birds of the Equinox count to Birdstack. I've had a login for a while actually, but this was my first time creating a list.

Here's my list from the day:

Bufflehead
Common Merganser
Red-tailed Hawk
Song Sparrow
Hairy Woodpecker
Pine Siskin
American Goldfinch
Mourning Dove
Dark-eyed Junco
Tufted Titmouse
Black-capped Chickadee

I didn't get to go out during my lunch break since I had meetings the whole day (it was such a busy day) but at least I watched my feeders in the morning and watched for birds during my drive to work. I drive along Charles River Road during the last leg of my commute so I always check out the river as I drive along it. It helps that the speed limit of 30mph is strictly enforced so I have an excuse to go slow and look for ducks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice list. I just saw my first Bufflehead and Song Sparrow this week. Do American Goldfinches winter there or is he a spring arrival? There are fewer and fewer at my feeders (in TX) each day.

Anonymous said...

As I was going the list at BirdStack I noticed your list too.
Cheers!

JohnR said...

Whoa there! Even now that I don't drive in Boston, I still find it dangerous to bird and drive at the same time. It's hard not to, but one good rear-ender and a few close calls finally taught me to force my eyes to stay in front. Now if I notice something, I pull over to get a better look..
Incidentally, I know it's a bit late in the year, but you might want to look into trips down to Plymouth - between the deep-water ducks in the winter and the whale-watch/semi-pelagic birds it's worth the ride. And going out from Plymouth to Provincetown around Easter is a blast.

Birdinggirl said...

@James- thanks! Yes- we have Goldfinches year-round. Although, this was my first winter seeing them. I'm sure it's the thistle feeder that attracted them to my yard. Their winter plumage is so interesting- their color is slowly changing to all-yellow. It's fascinating to watch since they're in my yard every day. Sorry to hear they're leaving, but I'm sure you have many amazing birds migrating north from Mexico to make up for that, right?

@Andy- Thanks for noticing- it was my first BirdStack list. I'm not sure if I'll keep it up since the form is time-consuming. My list for the count was disappointing, but at least I participating. Doesn't compare to all the waterfowl you got!

@John- You're right that driving in Boston is crazy, but the spped limit on the part of the Charles I drive along in Watertown is 30 mph and strictly enforced. It's a quiet road with little traffic- certainly not Storrow Drive. I'll take your advice though and be very careful when I let my eyes wander. Thanks too for the birding tips- I can easily make some trips to Plymouth and should plan a trip down-Cape as well.