Monday, February 16, 2009

Bird Tracks in the Snow

Steve and I went for a hike at Blue Hills on Saturday and although I didn't see any birds, I did see these bird tracks in the snow:

My first thought was a hawk, but there were far too many of them. I wouldn't expect a hawk to walk on the ground for that long. My next best guess is a wild turkey. The size is right (3.5-4.5 inches long)- they were very large prints. What large birds are out and about in the winter? Oh and the terrain was rocky- near a pipeline and at the top of a hill.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be my guess...Turkey. And that would be a guess :)

Birdinggirl said...

@ Andy- Thanks for confirming my guess! I've only seen wild turkeys a few times so they're not the first bird to pop into my head. We had some that visited the feeder in my parents' yard on the Cape a few years ago (it must have been when they were stocking them heavily).

Anonymous said...

Nice photo & blog! We have our share of wild turkey sights while out driving (or running right through our yard :)

Larry said...

I'd think the same thing but I know nothing about bird prints. There's probably a book for that.

Anonymous said...

I just have the noticed the same prints in the back of my house in North Haverhill NH. But there is only one trail. So I guess I only have one turkey!!!! Too funny!!!!