Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Birding While Jogging

Based on a reader's comment about my birdwatching while jogging along the Charles River I thought I would write a post on the subject.

I went for a 6 mile jog along the Charles this past Saturday, which was the first long run I had done in a long time. I left around 10:45-ish, is not optimal for birding but I was still happy to get out in the fresh air. I saw a lot of repeats on my run, which included:

Tufted Titmouse
Female Cardinal
Gray Catbird (tons of them)
Mourning Dove
Grackle

I also had a lot of chipmunk sightings. I must have had about five or six cross the path in front of me.

Unfortunatley I didn't stop to try and identify any of the birds up in the canopy, but I was happy to catch the ones I did. I particularly like catbirds because they're so lively and I like how they point their tails up. We have a lot of them at my parents' house on the Cape and I've always liked them. I also find it interesting how low-flying they are and how they keep to the lower branches.

I can't wait to make another trip down there to walk with my camera!

No comments: